1. Location - 2 hours drive from Queenstown, Gore appears to be a sleepy country town of 9,500.
2. Annual Country Music Festival and Gold Guitar Awards every June.
3. Gore Historical Musuem features Gore’s colourful heritage, both Maori and European.
4. ‘Old Hokonui‘ whiskey and illicit stills, the result of 51 years of localised prohibition, has a legal home at the Hokonui Moonshine Musuem. The annual Moonshine Festival is held every February.
5. Art and Culture live at the Eastern Southland Art Gallery. Featuring a diverse collection of primarily New Zealand and Australian works such as Ralph Hotere and Hone Tuwhare, the gallery attracts thousands of art lovers from around New Zealand and the world.
6. Mandeville Airport, oldest in New Zealand, is home to The Croydon Aircraft company who restore classic 1930s aircraft.
7. The Annual Hokonui Fashion Design Awards, every July, feature up and coming designers.
8. The Matuara River attracts international anglers wanting to try out one of the world’s best brown trout fishing rivers.